11 Best Healthy Recipes to Try in the New Year
Image by Luisa Brimble
Better food for a better you.
This list of healthy meals and snacks features a variety of benefits, flavors, and more!
With the beginning of a new year, many of us are setting new goals and searching for helpful, healthy habits to support our 2023 intention. Exploring new hobbies, getting plenty of fresh air and exercise, connecting with our communities, and organizing our homes and schedules are a few approaches to creating more balanced lifestyles. Whatever your goals are for the upcoming year, you will need plenty of energy to achieve them.
The right food can help you stay physically and mentally motivated while you take on the new year. And with Table & Thyme’s culinary expertise, every breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even snack, can taste amazing without requiring too much time or energy!
Keep reading to learn more.
Our Top 11 Healthy Recipe Ideas for 2023
Healthy food tends to have a reputation. While it’s optimal for maintaining stable energy levels, physical conditions, and even balanced moods, it often lacks quality flavor and general enjoyment That is, until now, thanks to our list of 11 healthy and delicious recipes to try in 2023!
1. Simple Kale Salad
A conveniently nutritious afternoon meal, this simple kale salad is full of flavor and beneficial antioxidants!
- 2-3 cups kale, fresh
- Juice of 2 lemons
- ¼ cup parmesan, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk to combine the lemon juice, minced garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper.
- Add the kale leaves a handful at a time to the bowl and toss or stir to coat in the seasoning oil. If necessary, tear the leaves into smaller, bite-sized pieces.
- Set the bowl aside. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add the breadcrumbs. Stir and toast the bread crumbs for 3-4 minutes before adding them to the bowl of salad.
- Add the parmesan to the salad and toss to distribute the toppings evenly.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
2. Apple Chips
Hoping to cut down on processed sugar sweets in the new year? These delightful apple chips are a quick air fryer snack to kick those sugar cravings!
- Apples, sliced
- Cinnamon, ground
- Slice the apples of your choice into ¼- thick rounds.
- Place the sliced apple rounds in the air fryer and sprinkle them with ground cinnamon.
- Cook in the air fryer at 350ºF for around 5 minutes. Then, flip the apple chips and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Leave the apple chips in the air fryer for another 5 minutes to crisp before enjoying!
3. 3-Ingredient Protein Pancakes
Getting plenty of protein in the morning is the key to maintaining energy throughout the day. Get your fill with a stack of these delicious and simple protein pancakes!
- 1 medium banana
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1-2 Tablespoons butter
- Use a fork to mash the banana in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs to the bowl and whisk to combine before doing the same with the flour.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Then, slowly pour pancake batter until it reaches the desired size of your pancakes.
- Allow the pancake to cook thoroughly on one side before flipping. Once both sides have browned, transfer the pancake to a plate and repeat until the batter is used up.
- Serve with honey or fresh fruit and enjoy!
4. Peanut Butter Energy Bites
In a rush and need breakfast on the go? Want to avoid that afternoon crash? Try this recipe! It’s packed with protein and an energizing snack with a serving of sweetness!
- ⅔ cup creamy nut butter
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup flax seeds, ground
- 2 Tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients until well incorporated.
- Place the bowl into the refrigerator to chill for 20 minutes.
- Use a spoon to portion the energy bites and roll them into balls for easy storage and convenience.
5. Salad in a Jar
This flavorful and filling salad is the ideal healthy make-ahead meal for any day of the week!
- Romaine or iceberg lettuce
- Toppings of choice
- Dressing of choice
- Pour your favorite salad dressing into a major jar before adding any vegetables and toppings you prefer.
- Layer the lettuce leaves and seal the jar.
- Leave the jar in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Then, give it a good shake and either transfer it to a bowl for serving or enjoy it right out of the jar!
6. Banana Chips
Similar to the apple chips from before, this recipe makes it easy to get your daily dose of potassium and beat those sugar cravings with a simple snack.
- 2 medium bananas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Slice the bananas into ¼- inch thick slices and place them in a small bowl.
- Add the oil and salt to the bowl and toss the banana slices to coat.
- Transfer the banana slices to the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 5 minutes at 350ºF. Flip and cook at the same temperature for an additional 5 minutes.
- After cooling, serve with peanut butter and enjoy!
7. Citrus Salad
It may seem like an odd pairing at first, but tangy citrus and salty parmesan are a divine match that is simply too good to pass up.
- 2-3 citrus fruits, mixed variety
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Black pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Peel and slice the citrus fruits and arrange them on a serving plate.
- Layer the shaved parmesan cheese over the citrus according to your preference.
- Chop the pistachios and transfer them to a pan with olive oil. Allow them to roast over medium heat for around 5 minutes while stirring.
- Remove from heat and add the honey and rice vinegar to the pan. Stir to combine and pour over the plate of citrus and parmesan.
- Top with black pepper and enjoy!
8. Frozen Yogurt Bark
For those late-night cravings, this frozen yogurt bark is everything you could ever want and more!
- Vanilla yogurt
- Mixed berries
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with wax paper.
- Place a spoonful of yogurt onto the wax paper and spread it into a thin layer. Add more yogurt as necessary. Ideally, the layer will be about ¼ to ⅛ inch thick.
- Sprinkle the berries onto the yogurt, gently pressing the fruit to set.
- Place the sheet pan into the freezer and freeze for at least one hour.
- After it has had time to solidify, cut the bark into pieces and enjoy!
9. Iced Matcha
Brighten your mornings with an energizing and smooth iced matcha latte!
- 1 teaspoon Matcha Powder
- Milk of your choice
- 3 Tablespoons Hot Water
- Sweetener such as honey or agave (optional)
- In a small bowl, add 1 teaspoon matcha powder and any sweetener if you like. Then, add the 3 Tablespoons of hot water and use a bamboo whisk or spoon to mix the ingredients until well blended.
- If you are making a hot latte, heat your milk and stir or froth frequently to create a layer of foam.
- If you are making an iced latte, pour your milk into a glass and add ice.
- Pour the match mixture into your milk, stir, and enjoy!
10. Peach Tomato Salad
Savor the artisanal flavors of this rustic salad with homemade vinaigrette. This peach tomato salad recipe is a great make-ahead meal that won’t leave you feeling sluggish!
For the Vinaigrette:
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- ½ shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup basil, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons oregano, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon dill, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon thyme, chopped
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Salad:
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes, whole or halved
- 2-3 peaches, sliced into wedges
- 1 cup cherries, pitted
- 8 ounces burrata cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- Combine all the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a mason jar, seal, and shake to mix. Adjust the flavor with additional salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to your liking.
- Place the tomatoes, sliced peaches, and cherries in a large mixing bowl. Pour ⅓ of the dressing into the bowl and toss the fruit to coat.
- In a large bowl toss the tomatoes, peaches, and cherries with 1/3 of the dressing. Let sit for 15 minutes at room temperature or up to 4 hours in the fridge.
- Transfer the fruit to a serving plate and top with the burrata, remaining dressing, and sunflower seeds. Enjoy!
11. No-Bake Granola Bars
Are you getting enough fiber in your diet? With this easy homemade granola bar recipe, you’ll never have to wonder again. And, there’s no cooking required!
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 Tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons sunflower seeds
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Combine the peanut butter, honey, vanilla, and salt in a large mixing bowl, stirring until smooth. Fold in the oats, chocolate chips, and sunflower seeds.
- Transfer to the lined baking sheet and use a rubber spatula to smooth into an even layer. To flatten even more, line a second sheet of wax paper over the top of the granola, and use the bottom of a glass to level the granola.
- Place the baking sheet into the refrigerator to chill for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Use a knife to portion and cut the granola into bars for simple serving and enjoy!
Whether you want to make healthier lifestyle choices in 2023 or enjoy trying new recipes, Table & Thyme has exactly what you need!
For years, Table & Thyme’s one-of-a-kind grazing boards, elegant grazing tables, and excellent catering menus have elevated events for clients across the state of Alabama. We share our expert tips and inspirational insight for creating delicious meals with our community of food lovers.
Interested in joining our community?
Give Table & Thyme a follow on Instagram, Pinterest, and Tik Tok where we share practical recaps of our favorite recipes and food content!
Don’t forget to check in with our blog every week for our latest recipe recommendations, event hosting guides, catering highlights, and more.
Sign up for our newsletter below!
For more information on Table and Thyme, contact them today! Follow us on our social media: Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and Pinterest to see the other amazing events, lavishing grazing tables and beautiful graze boxes we have created.