Taco 'bout a dinner worth savoring! Tonight we're cooking up chicken tacos, and our mouths are already watering. Is it dinnertime yet?
- 12 to 16 (6-inch) tortillas
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, or ground cumin if you want it less spicy
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 (10-ounce) bag tri-color slaw
- 2 medium limes
- black pepper
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 2 medium avocados
- 1/2 (10-ounce) wheel queso fresco or other crumbly Mexican cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup salsa
- Hot sauce
- Heat an oven to warm or 175ºF. Stack 12 to 16 tortillas (3 to 4 per person), then wrap them completely in aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place in the oven to warm while you prepare the chicken, slaw, and toppings.
- Remove the breast and thigh meat from 1/2 rotisserie chicken (save the rest of the chicken for another use). Place in a bowl and shred with 2 forks. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chili powder or cumin and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and toss to combine.
- Place the slaw in a large bowl. Halve, then juice 1 of the limes over the slaw. Add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper, and toss to combine.
- Prepare the toppings, placing them all in separate bowls: Cut the remaining lime into wedges. Dice 1/2 yellow onion and 2 avocados. Crumble up 1/2 wheel queso fresco cheese. Place 1 cup sour cream and 1 cup salsa in serving bowls if desired.
- If the chicken is no longer warm, it can be covered and warmed in the microwave if desired. Place the packet of warm tortillas on a plate. Place the chicken, tortillas, slaw, toppings, and hot sauce out for everyone to make their own tacos.