A classic southern favorite, hamburger steak is cooking in the skillet tonight, so get your fork and knife ready! Tastes exactly how your grandmother fixed it.
• 2 pounds ground beef
• 1 ½ cups saltine crackers, crushed
• 1 cup whole milk
• ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
• ½ teaspoon garlic powder
• ½ teaspoon onion powder
• ½ teaspoon paprika
• ¼ teaspoon cayenne
• Salt and pepper
• 1 cup flour for dredging (or more if needed)
• 2 tablespoon butter
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Gravy:
• 2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
• 1 ½ cups whole milk
• 1 ½ tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, crushed saltines, milk, Italian seasoning, garlic, onion powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a spoon or your hands, combine the ingredients until mixed. Gently form into even-sized patties.
- Place 1 cup of flour in a shallow dish. Season the flour with salt and pepper. Dredge all the patties in the flour. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and melt the butter and add the olive oil. Once hot, sear patties on both sides until golden brown. Work in batches. It will continue cooking in the oven.
- Transfer the browned patties to a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream of mushroom soup and milk and then stir in the chopped parsley.
- Pour the gravy evenly over the top of the patties.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil to help prevent a mess or set your casserole dish on a lined baking sheet for easy cleanup.
- Place baking dish in the oven and bake at 350º for 30-40 min or until cooked through.