There’s nothing quite like the taste of homemade pizza. But, let’s be honest, who has the time or the energy?
No need to order delivery when you can savor a slice of delicious homemade ‘za thanks to this quick and easy skillet pizza recipe!
Put down the frozen pizza and hang up the phone, because now you have the perfect recipe for a fluffy, crispy, and flavorful pizza made right at home! Not only is it the easiest pizza you’ll ever make, but it’s probably the tastiest and quickest one you'll ever make, too!
How to Make Pizza in a Cast Iron Skillet
When it comes to homemade pizza, most people don’t immediately think of doing it on the stovetop, let alone in a skillet! While pizza made the traditional way is an age-old classic, pizza made in a cast iron skillet has a unique flavor and quality that is mouthwatering and irresistible, and it's super simple to make, too!
All you’ll need for this cast iron pizza recipe is some pizza dough (you can opt for homemade if you’d like, but pre-made works just as well), flour, shredded mozzarella cheese, dried oregano, olive oil, and some spicy honey for an extra kick of flavor!
After the oven is preheated to 475º F and the skillet has been placed over medium-high heat to warm up, start your pizza by sprinkling some flour on a clean work surface to prevent the pizza dough from sticking and making more of a mess than is necessary. Then, with lightly floured hands, begin to roll out the pizza dough into a round about the size of the skillet you’ll be using. The thickness of your dough will depend on your preference, just keep in mind that a thicker dough round will take a little bit longer to cook, and a thinner round less, so just keep an eye on the pizza to prevent any burning!
Once you have the dough shaped into the correct sizer and the thickness you prefer, place it into the skillet on the stovetop. There is likely to be excess dough that climbs the walls of the skillet. Carefully fold that dough inward and toward the center of the skillet to create a crust for your pizza. If you are a fan of thicker crusts, making the pizza round slightly larger than the skillet will give you plenty of excess dough to create a thicker edge! Allow the dough to cook in the skillet long enough for it to begin bubbling before moving on.
Spoon a few dollops of pizza sauce into the center of the pizza and spread the sauce around the dough in a circular motion using the back of a spoon. Then, sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce, however much you’d like!
Transfer the skillet to the oven and let it bake for about 5 minutes (adjusting the time by a few minutes depending on the thickness of your pizza’s crust) before removing and rotating the skillet, placing it back into the oven to bake for another 5 minutes or so.
Once the pizza’s crust begins to brown and the cheese has begun to melt into the sauce, remove the pizza from the oven and take it out of the skillet immediately to avoid overcooking or burning on the bottom.
Top the pizza with a few shakes of dried oregano, a drizzle of spicy honey, or even an extra helping of mozzarella cheese before slicing and plating up to enjoy!
Table & Thyme’s Cast Iron Pizza Recipe
Crispy, thick, and fluffy crust topped with melted cheese and a drizzle of spicy honey, this cast iron pizza is the easiest and tastiest homemade pizza ever!
- Pizza dough pre-made or homemade
- 1 jar of a pizza sauce of your choice
- At least 10 ounces of mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Olive oil
- Dried oregano
- Spicy honey
- Preheat your oven to 475º F and preheat the cast iron skillet by placing it over medium-high heat on the stovetop.
- On a clean countertop, sprinkle flour to prevent sticking and roll pizza dough into a circle the same size as the skillet.
- Place the pizza dough into the skillet (still on the heat) and fold any excess dough towards the center to create a crust. Then, drizzle the dough with olive oil, using a brush to cover the dough’s surface and edges evenly.
- Allow the pizza dough to cook in the skillet for a few minutes until it begins to bubble before spooning pizza sauce onto the dough. Place a spoonful or two of the sauce and use the back of a spoon to spread the sauce in a circular motion. Top the sauce with the shredded mozzarella cheese (however much you’d like), and place the entire skillet into the oven to cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven to rotate its position and place it back in for another 4-5 minutes.
- After the crust has turned golden, remove the pizza from the skillet and transfer it to a plate or a cutting surface to slice.
- Drizzle the hot pizza with honey, a sprinkle of oregano, and any other toppings you’d like, serve, and enjoy!
Thanks for taking a look at our recipe for a one-of-a-kind homemade cast iron pizza! We adore collecting, creating, and sharing recipes for all kinds of food and drink. So, make sure to follow us on Instagram so that you have plenty of new and fresh ideas the next time you are looking for inspiration in the kitchen! We also share highlights of recent events and special insider secrets for being the perfect host, as well as so much more, so don’t forget to tune in to our weekly blog for more Table & Thyme content!
For more information on Table and Thyme, contact them today! Follow us on our social media: Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and Pinterest to see the other amazing events, lavishing grazing tables and beautiful graze boxes we have created.