The last, but certainly not the least, of our Old Elk Bourbon, @OldElkBourbon infused desserts is the Butterscotch-Bourbon Lava Cake. This rich, butterscotch goodness flowing with Old Elk Bourbon will quickly be any dessert lovers favorite.
The Old Elk Way
The Old Elk recipe includes three quality ingredients: malted barley, rye and corn. By investing in their bourbon and using four times more malted barley than traditional recipes, the bourbon generates sweet, light components. The malted barley, combined with a spicy essence of clove from the rye, and the traditional rich bourbon character from the corn, creates the overall robust taste profile. While you savor the rich flavors of the butterscotch, notice the complementing sweetness of the bourbon as it warms your mouth.
Build Your Butterscotch-Bourbon Lava Cake
Whether it's for family, guests or a to simply satisfy your sweet tooth, this twist on the classic lava cake is sure to wow any audience. We'll take you through the step-by-step process to create your own Butterscotch-Bourbon Lava Cake.
To kick things off, preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. While it's getting nice and hot, grab six, 1-cup ramekins and thoroughly coat them with cooking spray. We can't have any of our delicious lava cake getting left behind in the pan!
To achieve the gooey, rich butterscotch, melt 1/2 cup of butter and 3/4 cup of butterscotch chips over medium heat in a small saucepan. Make sure to stir the mixture constantly for about 2 minutes until smooth. Then, remove the mixture from heat. Now it's time for the bourbon! Whisk in 3 tbsps, or 2 ounces of bourbon and 1 tsp of vanilla to the mixture. Don't worry, the rest of the bourbon and vanilla is coming later. Once the mixture has been whisked, transfer it to a medium bowl. Next, whisk in 1 cup of powdered sugar until the mixture is smooth. Don't put down your whisk yet. Whisk in 3 large egg yolks and 2 large eggs. Last but not least, with a rubber spatula, fold in 2/3 cup all-purpose flour and 1 tsp kosher salt until fully combined.
Pull back out the ramekins you coated earlier. Spoon batter evenly into the ramekins, about 1/3 cup each. Next, grab a baking sheet and arrange your ramekins on it. It's cooking time! Bake for about 10 to 11 minutes until the cake tops are golden brown and the centers have a slight jiggle.
While the ramekins are baking, it's time to prepare bourbon whipped cream for serving. In an electric mixer, beat together 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, the remaining 2 tbsps powdered sugar, 1 tbsp of bourbon and 1 tsp of vanilla. Mix on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes until stiff peaks begin to form. Once, it's finished mixing, set it aside.
After the cakes are finished baking, remove from the oven and let sit for 1 minute. Then, gently run an offset spatula or a sharp knife around the edges of each cake. Carefully invert each lava cake onto a serving plate. Make sure to use a kitchen towel or oven mitt to handle the ramekins; these are piping hot! For extra presentation, sprinkle the cakes with the additional powdered sugar. Lastly, for the big finish, dollop each lava cake with the bourbon whipped cream before serving. Bon Appétit!
We've enjoyed walking you through the irresistible process of creating these three Old Elk Bourbon infused desserts. We know you'll enjoy them just as much as we do!
Active: 20 minutes
Bake: 10 minutes
Total: 30 minutes
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 tbsps (2 oz.) bourbon, divided
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsps powdered sugar, divided (plus more for garnish)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Instructions ChecklistStep 1
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat 6 (1-cup) ramekins with cooking spray.
- Melt butterscotch chips and butter in a small saucepan over medium, stirring constantly, until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; whisk in 3 tablespoons of the bourbon and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl, and whisk in 1 cup of the powdered sugar until smooth.
- Whisk in egg yolks and eggs.
- Fold in flour and salt using a rubber spatula until fully combined.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared ramekins (about ⅓ cup each).
- Arrange ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until cake tops are golden brown and centers have a slight jiggle, 10 to 11 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat cream and remaining 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon bourbon, and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove cakes from oven, and let stand 1 minute.
- Gently run an offset spatula or a sharp knife around edges of each cake, and carefully invert each onto a serving plate. (Use a kitchen towel or oven mitt to prevent burning.)
- Sprinkle cakes with additional powdered sugar, and dollop evenly with bourbon whipped cream before serving.
For more information on Table and Thyme, contact them today! Follow us on our social media: Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and Pinterest to see the other amazing events, lavishing grazing tables and beautiful graze boxes we have created.