This has summer written all over it!
Add some Southern charm to your summer with this delectable Fried Green Tomato Salad recipe!
Who could resist the crisp and tangy flavor of expertly fried green tomatoes accented with the freshest vegetables the summer season has to offer? This easy recipe will leave you with a 5-star salad and a refreshing meal perfect for any sunny summer afternoon. It’s about time to harvest those vegetables you’ve been caring for in the garden and enjoy the one-of-a-kind flavors that come from homegrown vegetables. Don’t worry, a green thumb is not required for this recipe! Take a trip to the local farmers market, like the Alabama Farmers Market in Birmingham, to get that same level of freshness for vegetables that are practically exploding with flavor! It’s a simple and easy process to make this masterpiece, but for best results, an electric deep fryer will work best. Here’s how to make this sweet summertime salad:
- 10 oz bag of spinach
- 2 fresh cucumbers, diced
- 1 red tomato, diced
- 3 green tomatoes
- 1 cup of self-rising flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- Vegetable oil
- Ranch dressing (homemade is best, you can get an easy ranch recipe here!)
- If making homemade ranch dressing, prepare it first. Otherwise, have ranch dressing ready to be used at a later step.
- Pour Vegetable oil to the indicated line of your electric fryer and follow the instructions to begin heating the oil.
- Slice your cucumbers and red tomatoes and set aside.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder in a bowl.
- Slice the green tomatoes into ½ inch thick slices and fill another bowl with water.
- Dip the tomato slices in water, then into the flour mixture and set aside.
- When oil is ready, drop the breaded tomatoes into the fryer and let them cook for about 3 minutes. Flip the tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes. Once cooked, carefully place tomato slices on a paper towel to cool and drain excess oil.
- While they are cooling, put your spinach in a serving bowl. Once ready, place the fried green tomatoes on top of the spinach and then sprinkle the salad with the cucumbers and red tomatoes. Drizzle the ranch and enjoy!
This fried green tomato salad recipe is the perfect way to enjoy the flavors of summer with a hint of Southern charm. We hope you get a chance to make it yourself and if you do, be sure to let us know! We’d love to hear from you!
For more information on Table and Thyme, contact them today! Follow us on our social media: Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and Pinterest to see the other amazing events, lavishing grazing tables and beautiful graze boxes we have created.