Are you getting tired of being stuck in the same old boring routine when it comes to food, but also afraid to try foods outside of you comfort zone? Then you’re in the right place! We’ve gathered some exciting dishes that will spice up any meal! Whether it’s a hearty classic, a savory twist on an old favorite, or a viral creation, these recipes are the perfect way to expand your cooking interests and make some great-tasting dishes along the way!
1. Home-Style Cheddar Grits
There’s nothing like a hearty bowl of cheesy grits to fill you up with sweet and tangy Southern charm! With this recipe, there is nothing wrong with sticking to tradition since there will always be guaranteed deliciousness with every bite.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups chicken broth, unsalted
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick grits
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a medium saucepan, combine chicken broth and milk and bring to a simmer.
- Mix in salt and slowly add grits into saucepan. Be mindful to keep stirring while pouring in grits!
- Cover saucepan, reducing heat to low for 3-4 additional minutes. Remove lid and begin stirring grits continuously for another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese until mixed.
- Serve and garnish as desired!
Recipe by House of Yum
2. Chicken and Cheese Jalapeño Cornbread
Cornbread is another Southern comfort food that always hits the spot. But this time, we’re giving it a little kick! Here is how we added a spicy and satisfying twist to our favorite cornbread recipe:
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 25 mins
Total: 45 mins
Servings: 9 servings
- ½ cup corn oil, plus some to grease baking dish
- 1 ¼ cup fine yellow cornmeal, plus some to coat baking dish
- 1 ½ cup whole milk
- 1 can (14.75 oz) cream-style corn
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz shredded cheddar, or mixed cheeses (mozzarella and cheddar)
- 2 cups shredded (cooked) chicken
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup sliced pickled jalapeños (drained)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Lightly brush a 3-quart or 9 x 13 inch baking dish with oil. Sprinkle cornmeal and coat the dish, tapping out excess. Bake for about 3 to 4 minutes, cornmeal should have darkened and be giving of a fragrant aroma. Remove from oven and let cool
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, milk, corn, eggs, baking soda, and salt. Stir in cornmeal and mix well. Pour half of the batter into the bottom of your baking dish and sprinkle with cheese, chicken, cilantro, and jalapeños. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until cornbread reaches a golden color and a tester placed in the center of the bread comes out clean. Let cool for at least 15 minutes, garnish with cilantro and serve with salsa.
These recipes are sure to bring the perfect variety to your meals and may even become new favorites to add to your regular rotation!
We hope you enjoy these delicious dishes and if you tried any of them, make sure to let us know!
For more information on Table and Thyme, contact them today! Follow us on our social media: Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and Pinterest to see the other amazing events, lavishing grazing tables and beautiful graze boxes we have created.